LDI Alumni Profile
Dept. Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Monash University Clayton Campus
Supervisors: Professor Andreas Fouras & Professor Kerry Hourigan
Qualifications:BEng(Mechanical, Hons) Monash 2010, PhD Monash 2015
PhD topic:Mechanical properties characterisation of bioreactors for stem cell culture
The advent of stem cell research, especially the derivation of human pluripotent stem cells, such as human embryonic stem cells (hESC) and human induced pluripotent stem cells (hiPSC), has opened a new world in cell therapy and revolutionized regenerative medicine for many degenerative diseases or injuries. The stem cells' unlimited ability for self-renewal and differentiate to all cells type due to its undifferentiated state, make it an effective option as the basic material for various potential treatment. Even though many bioreactors have been designed, the knowledge of shear stress in stem cell cultivation protocol is still limited. The research is aimed to characterise the mechanical properties of various bioreactors to optimise cell culture procedure.
Optimisation of a stirred bioreactor through the use of a novel Holographic Correlation Velocimetry flow measurement technique, PLoS One, 8(6):e65714.
Vortex breakdown in bioreactors. International symposium on bifurcations and instabilities in fluid dynamics, Barcelona, 18–21 July 2011.
Experimental control of vortex breakdown by density effects. EUROMECH Colloquium 525, Instabilities and transition in three-dimensional flows with rotation, Lyon, France, 21–23 June 2011.
Experimental control of vortex breakdown by density effects. Physics in Fluids, 23(3), 034104.
- Lab Demonstrator: MEC4418 Control Systems, Monash University Clayton (2011–2012)
- Tutor and Lab Demonstrator: MEC2404 Fluid Mechanics I, Monash University Clayton (2012)
- Tutor: MEC2404 Fluid Mechanics I, Monash University Clayton (2011)
- Lab Demonstrator: MEC3458 Experimental Project, Monash University Clayton (2010–2011)
- Tutor: MEC4418 Control Systems, Monash University Clayton (2010)
- Tutor: MEC3457 Systems & Control, Monash University Clayton (2010)
- Tutor: MEC4446 Composite Structures, Monash University Clayton (2010)